SLC – Self-Reflection #2 – Steven Lamm

Steven Lamm

Dr. Patton

SLC 101 (001)

19 September 2019

Self-Assessment #2

Writing a reflection about ILC or Suite 201 seems simple and easy, but I want to reflect on this community because it has made such a difference and impact on my life since starting my college life at NC State. I applied to ILC but because I did it late, I was waitlisted until spots opened up. Spots thankfully opened up and that was one of the best decisions that was made for me to be a part of the ILC. I came in on move-in day, not knowing anyone in my suite and barely knew my suitemate from just talking on social media. I did not know what kind of community to expect when I was settling into this new life. I met my roommate and suitemates one-by-one; each of them bringing a little piece from home with them as they were settling into this new life as well. I did not feel too nervous, but I did not know what to expect as to how us suitemates would get along or even my roommate Carmen. I did know one thing though: be bold if you want to meet other people. I go back to my transition between my sophomore and junior years of highschool when I transferred from a small private school to a big public school and made a name for myself there at the public school. I was “the big fish in a small pond” at my private school but when I transitioned to public school, it was an eye-opening experience. I never waste opportunities, but sometimes I make opportunities of my own and that involves being bold and open to whoever I meet to create relationships. Every single person in Suite 201 has done exactly that.

Throughout this first month, Suite 201, I believe, has taken huge strides in Relational Leadership and that in itself has allowed Suite 201 to make a name for itself and make the college experience better for everyone. It all started getting to know one another as a suite during Welcome Week and we blossomed from there. I quickly saw that we were all different and came from many different backgrounds but instead of it weakening us as a group because of our differences, it just made us stronger. We have used our differences and exposed them to make Suite 201 unique not just for ourselves but for everyone in ILC. As a suite, we empower each other with our differences and trust one another. We are obviously inclusive, always leaving our doors open (especially 201A and Jacob Miles’ room), and having a mat at the entrance of our suite saying, “You are about to get hugged” for anyone that wants a hug when they walk into Suite 201. All of us in the suite are on the same page and understands that we all want the best college experience while we here and are very purposeful when doing many activities together as a group. I am very grateful with what ILC has provided for me and the opportunities it has presented to me. I have never eaten alone, never done a service activity alone, and never done an activity alone (unless it is homework sometimes) and I want that for everyone else. The amount of people we have “adopted” into 201 is amazing. It does not require anything to be a part of 201 (except to come to the suite obviously haha), but we have ILC members that will just hang with Suite 201 and as a suite, it is heart-warming. We know everyone on Floor 2, and are still trying to get all of Floor 3 in this inclusion. As we keep promoting the popularity and community Suite 201 makes, we want to make sure that ILC members do not think Suite 201 as a party suite or a suite where you have to have a certain social status to be a part of it and that is where the ethics and being process-oriented come in. Suite 201 just wants to build a big community as ILC does, but on a smaller scale. We want a positive community and to brand ourselves as a group who took the initiative to bring ILC together more and more everyday. 

As of now, I do not think I would have done anything differently and that is rare. I constantly go back and think about what has happened and how I could have done better. I do not make regrets but I just want to know how the situation I am in could be better. I want to use this information that I have learned and experience to help me make good decisions in my project proposal. As I help young kids in school find outlets to go to, such as sports, I will keep in mind that everyone comes from different backgrounds and we can use that and their differences to make something great when part of a team or group. I will also use my character strength of perspective to better help me understand where these kids are coming from and understand what their passions and/or dreams are.

I am still truly grateful for what ILC has done for me and what will happen in the future. I am grateful for all returners from last year, and I believe they are enjoying this second year just as much as the first, even with us young freshmen. It has only been a month and I feel like we have done more within a month than many students could do in a semester. Saying this, I do get tired and I have to balance rest and building community, but as a suite, I am proud of what I have become; I am proud of what our suite has done to build community, and I can not wait to see what will happen for the rest of this year. Thank you.